Layers of buttery and crisp shortbread, luscious and chewy dulce de leche (caramelized condensed milk) and, decadent and snappy dark chocolate. A dessert so rich and full of textures, it will make you feel like a millionaire! :p
Ingredients [16 squares]:
110 gm unsalted butter
1/3 cup castor sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt (skip if using salted butter)
Dulce de leche-
350 gm condensed milk*
10 gm unsalted butter
A pinch of salt (skip if using salted butter)
100 gm dark chocolate
1. Cream together room-temperature butter and castor sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Fold in flour and salt.
3. Flatten the shortbread dough in a 6x6 inch square baking tin lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake at 180°C for 20-25 mins until light golden on top.
5. Add condensed milk and butter in a non-stick heavy-bottom pan and start cooking it over low flame.
6. Cook it until deep golden colour, while continuously whisking.
7. Pour this over cooled shortbread while it's still hot (or it will start hardening). Flatten it out evenly.
8. Let this cool down completely.
9. Melt dark chocolate in a microwave or over a double boiler** and spread a thin layer over the dulce de leche layer.
10. Let the chocolate set at room temperature. Or if the weather is too hot, put it in refrigerator until the chocolate is just set.
11. Cut into 9 or 16 squares with a very sharp knife.
- *You can make your own condensed milk by taking 1L milk and 200gm sugar in a large pot, and place it over medium low flame. When it starts to boil, add a pinch of baking soda and let it simmer over low flame for around 20-30 mins, whisking it every 1-2 mins, until it starts to thicken and reduces to 1/3rd. (Do not over thicken it, it gets a lot thicker while cooling down.)
- **Double boiler- Take around 2 inches of water in a large pot and place it over a stovetop, letting the water simmer. Now take another heat-proof bowl and place it over the pot with water, making sure the water doesn't touch the pot above. Now place your chopped up chocolate into the bowl to melt it down gently.
- Make sure to continuously whisk the condensed milk and butter mixture, or it will scorch to the bottom and burn.
- If you have flaky sea salt on hand, sprinkle it over the chocolate while it's still warm.
- Do not let the chocolate harden too much, or it will snap while slicing.
- Wipe the knife after each cut to get cleaner cuts.
- Stays good in refrigerator in an airtight container for over a week.
We know it's a little high on calorie, but c'mon, it's okay to treat yourself and people around you once in a while! A guarantee from our side - This dessert will definitely make you happy. ;)